Two Jaw Surgery
Self Two Jaw Surgery Information
- Duration: 2 hours
- Anesthesia: General Anesthesia
- Hospitalization: 3 days
- Stitch Removal: 2 weeks after
- Clinic Visit: 5 times
- Recovery Period: Return to everyday activity 2 weeks after
- What is Self Two Jaw Surgery?
- It is a type of Two Jaw Surgery for those who have problematic features such as long jaw or face, jutting chin, asymmetric face and jaw dysfunction. The patients are given the options of fixation or non-fixation methods after Two Jaw Surgery. Self Two Jaw Surgery can produce natural results with better satisfactory outcomes since this procedure applies the advantages of both fixation and non-fixation method.
- Recommended for those who
- 1. Have abnormally long face
- 2. Have asymmetric face
- 3. Have protruding mouth
- 4. Jutting chin with malocclusion
- 5. Have mouth that shows too much gum when smiling
- 6. Have poor alignment of the superior jaw/teeth
Self Two Jaw Surgery Process
- STEP 01
Precise diagnosis to plan the surgery
- STEP 02
Excision of upper and/or lower jaw to adjust the location
- STEP 03
Fix the excised part
Functional Improvement & Cosmetic Effect
Two Jaw Surgery and Occlusion
What is Malocclusion?
Malocclusion is the irregular overlap of the upper and lower jaw when the mouth is closed. This condition generally worsens over time, effecting the appearance and worsen the aesthetics. Furthermore, malocclusion causes poor biting habits that can cause jaw joint disabilities and other defects.
-Wrong posture or habit
-Teeth size or shape problem
|-Decline of digestive function
-Herniated cervical[lumbar] disc
Why is Two Jaw Surgery necessary?
It may be the purpose of occlusion improvement, but it is also important to return the occluding ability with correct pronunciation. Also in case of bone related malocclusion, Two Jaw Surgery for changing the position of the jaw will bring the best result in both functionally and aesthetically.
Upper Jaw Surgery
Recommended for those who
- 1. Have imbalance jaw due to less developed upper jaw
- 2. Have severe face asymmetry
- 3. Have abnormal length of upper and lower jaw
- 4. Have possibility of open bite after surgery
The result of the upper jaw surgery is affected heavily on the surgeon’s skills. The level of experience and know-how is compulsory to provide customized design and precise performance for the good result.
Lower Jaw Surgery
IVRO and SSRO are two surgical methods for Lower Jaw surgery. The surgical method may vary depending on patient’s condition or clinic. Wonjin experienced numerous cases of operations to provide accurate diagnosis and plan the surgery accordingly for higher satisfaction.
SSRO (Sagittal Split Ramus Osteotomy)
SSRO is the method of cutting the jaw bone diagonally into two plates then fixates the bones to the back.
SSRO is a very complex procedure which requires high skills because cutting the jaw bone that is consisting of blood vessel and nerves is dangerous which can lead to jaw joint problem. Therefore, it is extremely important how precisely the surgeon excise and fixate the bone with good post-operative correction.
The importance of the plate to safely fixate the divided bones into one, the plate's fixation power is very important. The fixation power is highly affected by the quality of the plate.
Requirements of Superior Plates
Power: Must have enough strength to maintain the position
of the fixated bone without falling off or loosing.
Tension: Tension must be maintained for at least 10 weeks (minimum period for bone to heal)
Affinity: Chemical affinity with the bone is important since the plate is inserted into the body either permanently or for a long period.
Wonjin only uses high quality plates.
- Materialized for jaw structure for natural shape to reduce the surgery time.
- Flexible adjustment is possible to reduce the difficulty of readjustment.
- Decreased the possibility of infection or foreign body reaction of the plate.
- It is produced for an accurate adhesion and stable fixation.
- Almost no possibility of strain or damage.
※ Interlink of the bone, screw, and plate is very important for safe fixation. If not, it can lead to revision surgery
IVRO (Intraoral Vertical Ramus Osteotomy)
Human body has the regeneration ability, which has a habit of going back to an optimum state if damaged. This IVRO method makes good use of the habit,
and for the best result, the surgeon’s surgery experience and know-how is required.
IVRO makes excision on the lateral part of the jaw bone to find the optimum location without the help of fixating with pins or wires. Since this method does not perform fixation on the bone,
it reduces the chance of jaw joint problem or pain to reconstruct the function.
Fixation Method of Self Two Jaw Surgery
Fixation method in the past – Complete FixationDue to lack of advanced equipment in the past, wire or band were used for intermaxillary fixation after the surgery. This method involves in fixation of both upper and lower jaw which lead to problems with breathing or eating. To overcome the problem, Non-fixation or Self Fixation method is more popular for Two Jaw Surgery patients.
*Intermaxillary Fixation: fixation of upper and lower teeth for adjusting the upper and lower jaws to good location
Latest Fixation Method
- Non-fixation Two Jaw Surgery
Non-fixation method requires high surgical skills to carry out an accurate surgery plan since it does not involve intermaxillary fixation. This method has the advantage of faster recovery and easier food ingestion.
Self Fixation Two Jaw Surgery
Self Fixation method has both advantages of convenience from non-fixation method and the safety from complete fixation method. This method allows free movement of the jaw since it only fixates two parts with bands.
Fixation on two areas with elastic bandages
Prevent jaw joint problem
Suitable for all Two Jaw Surgery cases
- Breathing is easier
- Safety and cleanliness
- Able to eat solid food
- Quicker recovery
- Able to communicate