Jutting Chin Surgery Information
- Duration: 2-3 hours
- Anesthesia: General Anesthesia
- Hospitalization: 3 days
- Stitch Removal: 2 weeks after
- Clinic Visit: 5 times
- Recovery Period: Return to everyday activity 2 weeks after
- What is Jutting Chin?
- We refer to jutting chin when lower jaw or mouth is protruded with long face. Patients who have jutting chin and malocclusion at the same time, they consider it as dental disease. As a result, the effect of orthodontic treatment in jutting chin is very limited because it does not make any changes to jaw bone. That is the reason why plastic surgery is required to relocate the jaw bone, then the orthodontic treatment should follow for the best result.
- Recommended for those who
- 1. Have a long face
- 2. Have protruded chin tip
- 3. Have long lower chin and showing too much gum when smiling
- 4. Have long jaw and overall size is big and wide
- 5. Have over developed lower jaw and sunken area in the middle
- 6. Have jutting chin with asymmetry
- 7. Have jutting chin with malocclusion
Type of Jutting Chin
- CASE 01
Jutting chin that has protruded front chin that makes a long face
Lower jaw has to be relocated backwards and orthodontic treatment is required.
- CASE 02
Jutting chin that has both long chin and face that shows gums while smiling
Lower jaw has to be relocated backwards and reducing the length of chin and mid face is required.
- CASE 03
Jutting chin that is wide
Reduce the overall size of the jaw and relocate it backwards.
- CASE 04
Jutting chin with sunken mid face
Relocate the mid face forward and relocate the jaw backwards.
- CASE 05
Jutting chin with asymmetry
Correct the asymmetry and relocate the jaw backwards.
Jutting Chin Surgical Method
Long chin with normal occlusion – Long Chin Surgery without orthodontic treatment
Jutting chin with malocclusion - Lower Jaw Surgery or Two Jaw Surgery with orthodontic treatment
METHOD 01 Genio Osteotomy
In case of over developed long chin, Genio Osteotomy is required to reduce the length and move it backwards to correct jutting chin.
METHOD 02 Lower Jaw Surgery
While performing the jutting chin surgery, one of the following methods are applied. IVRO that makes slimmer jaw line or SSRO that has strong fixation power.
IVRO(Intraoral Vertical Ramus Osteotomy)
This is the surgical method of cutting back side of the lower jaw vertically without fixation for natural settlement.
SSRO(Sagittal Split Ramus Osteotomy)
SSRO is a method of cutting back side of the lower jaw into two plates and push the jaw bone backwards to occlude and fixate using pins and wires.
METHOD 03 Two Jaw Surgery
Imbalanced upper and lower jaw with jutting chin requires Two Jaw Surgery. This surgery provides the best result in both function and aesthetic since it moves the jaw to accurate location.
Two Jaw Surgery Process