Calf Reduction Information
- Duration: App. 1 hour
- Anesthesia: Local (Deep Sleep) Anesthesia
- Fasting: From 6 hours before the surgery
- Stitch Removal: N/A
- Hospitalization: N/A
- Shower: Possible from the next day
- Recommended Stay in Korea: Min. 2 days after the surgery
- What is Calf Reduction?
- This calf surgery, a type of body contouring, creates shapely calves by blocking select nerves in the calf muscle thereby decreasing muscle thickness. WONJIN’s non incision method does not literally ‘burn’ the muscles but uses tiny micro cannula to block the nerves in the gastrocnemius with thermal energy, decreasing discomfort and bruising.
- Recommended for those who
- 1. Desire to have shapely and slim calves
- 2. Have big muscular calves
- 3. Have asymmetric calf muscles
- 4. Have fat and edema on calves
- 5. Are reluctant to wear short pants/skirts due to current shape of calves
WONJIN uses FDA and KFDA approved equipment 20S, which is used exclusively for reduction calf surgery. With a 1mm circumference, the high frequency needle is used to minimize tissue damage and pinpoint the precise location of the nerve and this can block nerve selectively.
Types of calf muscles development
There are three types of muscles in the calf: Medial Gastrocnemius, Lateral Gastrocnemius, and the Soleus Muscle. The most problematic muscle is the medial because it creates a rough line along the legs. Lateral gastrocnemius has relatively small amount of muscles on it but if it is overdeveloped, then it projects out backward. To have a slender leg line, the correct surgical method should be selected that matches your state of calves.
Non-incision Selective Neurolysis
This is a method that blocks gastrocnemius nerves on calves using high frequency energy. It leaves almost no damage on surrounding tissue since it can select corresponding muscles. Also, this method does not burn muscles, which leads to less pain and swelling after treatment. Thus, you are able to return to your daily activity immediately.
Medium-frequency Muscle Reducing Surgery
This is a method that necrose muscles by burning gastrocnemius using medium to high frequency energy. It might cause swelling due to heat applied on muscles but it is possible to get rid of partial muscles. It is often done along with nerve cutting calf reduction surgery.
When surgery feels too intrusive, Botox injection can be done to reduce muscles. It is selectively done even when lateral gastrocnemius is overly developed. It is a simple procedure which makes immediate return to everyday activity possible, but injections should be done regularly because the effect lasts only for 6 months.